Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Back to the Mac


I just finished listening to a fantastic podcast Macintosh Folklore Radio which brings back great memories of the original Macintosh. The stories were written by Andy Hertzfeld and read by Derek Warren and offer an entertaining glimpse into the development of the original Mac and some of the antics in getting the product to market in 1984. I guess to properly introduce this blog that's where we should begin with my own first computer a Macintosh 128K which shipped with one on-board 3.5" floppy disk drive and an Apple Imagewriter dot-matrix printer. Along the way I inherited another external floppy disk drive and eventually took this Mac in for surgery to have an upgrade to 512K.
I grew with the Mac and it got me hooked on computers. Over the next decade I owned both an original Macintosh and a Macintosh SE working with a wide variety of popular applications (e.g., MacWrite, MacPaint, WriteNow!). I migrated from the original operating system (yes System 1.0) up until version 7.5 in the early 1990s. At that point I was forced to switch over to using a PC and that is where we found ourselves until approximately two years ago. Finally, fed-up with the horrific experience that is Windows and an operating system that proved to be a constant pain I happily returned to the Mac. In this blog my plan is to take many of the Apple, Mac and iPod specific posts from the thoughtful-wheaten.blogspot.com and place them in a Mac-centric environment. Here goes...